The Drucker Institute works with newly elected California officials
Rick Wartzman, the executive director of the Drucker Institute, delivered the keynote address at this month’s Chrysler Elected Officials Training Academy, part of the California Latino Caucus Institute.
Wartzman’s talk, given on Dec. 3 in Ontario, Calif., was titled “Leading in Turbulent Times.” It was designed to give the more than two dozen newly elected public officials in attendance insights into Peter Drucker’s teachings about how to survive and thrive during periods of rapid change and instability.
“The central idea that I want to leave you with tonight is that despite all of these challenges—and in some cases because of them—there are still opportunities out there for leaders capable of seizing them.,” Wartzman told the group. He then went on to enumerate 10 Drucker-based leadership lessons:
- Face the facts, no matter how tough they are.
- Be clear and consistent.
- Start by asking, “What needs to be done?” as opposed to “What do I want to do?”
- Remember why you’re doing what you’re doing—and remind your staff of this noble purpose on a regular basis.
- The essence of leadership is performance and effectiveness.
- Know when to abandon plans and programs.
- Think creatively about partnering.
- Surround yourself with people who are better and smarter than you are.
- Find time for quiet reflection.
The Drucker Institute serves as the official academic partner of the California Latino Caucus Institute. The relationship helps to underscore that Peter Drucker’s teachings remain highly relevant for all sectors—private, nonprofit and public.
“Peter Drucker believed that effective management and responsible, ethical leaders doing the right things could change the world,” said former state Sen. Richard Polanco, the chairman of the CLCI. “Together the Drucker Institute and the California Latino Caucus Institute share this vision with the Chrysler Elected Officials Training Academy for preparing the elected leaders of California.”
Pictured (left to right) are Aaron Rios, senior manager of public affairs and government relations at Wal-Mart Stores Inc.; Angie Medina, CLCI Treasurer; Senator Richard Polanco (Ret.), CLCI chairman; Rick Wartzman, executive director of the Drucker Institute; and Ross Good, senior manager of external affairs and public policy at Chrysler Group.